Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Caribbean...#4

Yesterday we turned in our keys.

We no longer live in The Caribbean.

And yes, that is the name of our old apartments.

I will sure miss it. Not for the first time, I cried as we left. We have had more memories in that sweet apartment than I realized. It was our first home together. The kitchen I learned to cook in. The house I learned to keep. The place I learned how to be a wife. We had awesome parties, beautiful parties, filled that home with incredible people as often as we could. We concieved Silas there and there I learned what being pregnant meant for my body and our sink and toilet. There I labored with Si, hour after hour, after hour. That kitchen where I gagged down all my special vitamins, minerals, oils. That bathroom mirror where I watched my body change. Where I gasped at unsightly eyebrows and grinned at beloved haircuts. That bedroom where I read. So many great books I read! There that I loved my husband. There that we cried and we laughed and we learned and we grew. There we were angry. There we whispered and prayed and dreamed. And the nursery. Oh I loved it! Rustic fishing decor. Super cute. There I waited and wished and worried. There I decorated, rejoiced, rocked and I wept. There I grew a love and the Love grew up. There I kissed and patted and sang and cuddled and tucked in my baby. There he slept. His closet was the gracious host to our office, craft room, storage, everything but clothes. Our living room was well lived in. We outdid ourselves watching seasons of our favorite shows and greatly entertaining movies. Eating popcorn with olive oil and salt! Talking about our days. Talking about our tomorrows.

There is a lot to reminisce. I will truly miss that place. Goodbye lovely hardwood floors! Goodbye our old Caribbean paradise!!!

And welcome home. To the Sandpiper! Even better!

We will always cherish Home. Wherever it is, whatever the size, flooring, or name.

Because home absolutely is where the heart is. And a big Wight heart lives here!

6 comments:

Lauren said...

marilee--i have never read better writing. seriously, what a sweet, sweet look back at your first couple of years in your home.

can't wait to see you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

What a great piece of writing!

Anonymous said...

What parties, we were neven invited these parties! ;)

Jessi said...

and now I'm crying! BEAUTIFUL writing.

christy said...

Mares! It was the BEST first apartment! You made it a home and a blessing for Si and Thadd. Your creativity flowed to every room. Cheers to many more memories at your new oasis The Sandpiper!

Alison said...

Wow - this brought back such memories for me. I remember when we moved out of our first Home, where we had baby Abby...man, I wept so loud the neighbors came over to check on me. (dang CA weather with open windows!) I will cut and paste your writing into my journal from '91 and just sub out the different names. I wish I could write like you!